The book that I'm reading is Where She Went by Gayle Forman and it's the sequel to If I Stay. I was glad that they made a second book because I wanted to see what happened to Mia and Adam and everyone else as well as see what Mia decided to do about Julliard. As I'm reading this book I'm finding that it's not what I wanted from the second book. The book is in Adam's point of view which is kind upsetting to me because I wanted to find out what happened to Mia more than I wanted to find out what happened to Adam. It's also kind of confusing remembering it's in Adam's point of view because I'm so used to it being Mia's since the whole first book was in her point of view.
The book would be less frustrating if Adam actually turned out to be a good person.... unfortunately he didn't. It's been three years since the accident and Adam is now a celebrity thanks to him and his band the Shooting Stars. Adam has been heartbroken since Mia left him and he now turns to drinking and anxiety pills to cope with the loss of her. He also has a movie star girlfriend named Bryn that's loves the attention of paparazzi. This is displeasing to me because I personally believe him and Mia were meant to be. Adam has adapted this closed off personality which is anything but what he was in If I Stay and uses smoking to deal with the fact that paparazzi is always around.
Before almost every chapter there is a stanza from one of his songs off of the Shooting Stars album that he wrote after Mia left him crushed. The album is called Collateral Damage and includes these really dark song lyrics. An example is on page 176 off a song called Bridge:
"You crossed the water, left me ashore
It killed me enough, but you wanted more
You blew up the bridge, a mad terrorist
Waved from your side, threw me a kiss
I started to follow but realized too late
There was nothing but air underneath my feet"
The lyrics just make feel really down and depressed which is good, sometimes when you're reading a book, but I don't want to feel like that every chapter I read.
I read If I stay as well and want to read Where She Went. I would also like to hear from Mia's perspective because the whole first story was about her, not Adam. I do think it will be interesting to hear from Adams perspective but I don't think it is necessary for the whole book to be about him.
ReplyDelete